It’s about that time
Holy Cats!!! Its already mid April, can you believe it?!? Were only a third of the way into the year, and yet so much has happened already! To some this means many good things, I myself have enjoyed the process of growth from my daily project so far, as well as the growing community and excitement yet to come! However, “so much has happened” could be a sore subject for some people with some instances where we feel like we are already so far into the “New” year, yet so far away from our initial “resolutions”.
Yea remember those things? The “stuff” you said you were going to do or not do starting at the beginning of the year?! How’s it going?
First of all, Im calling you out but not calling you out at the same time. The truth is… LIFE happens! Sometimes things just tend to creep up on you and get in the way of whats important. My only goal for this post is to get you thinking about one of two things. How to get back on track if somehow you wondered off the initial path, and second how to stay on track if you’ve been successful so far at following through.
Some quick tips:
- Don’t Beat Yourself Up: Im a firm believer in holding yourself accountable to high standards, yet at the same time its possible to take it to far. Don’t scold yourself if you’ve fallen off the initial path, instead ask yourself the questions that are going to get you back on track.
- Re-Evaluate: The truth is, a lot has probably changed from the first of the year until now. Things come up, we have to face and embrace new adversity each and every day. Sit down, think of where you are now and start from there. You may have to alter a goal after re-evaluating, thats fine! Be flexible, figure out the new game plan, figure out what obstacles are likely in your way and attack it from here on out.
- Write & Re-write Your Goals: Don’t underestimate the simple power of hand written goals. Brian Tracy constantly speaks about this simple power exercise in his book “Goals”, starting each goal section off with hand written lists (Highly recommend this book by the way). And notice I say hand written, you use a pen or pencil for that… remember those things we used to use before smart-phones and tablets 😉
- Become a Successful Creature of Habit: Once you have Re-Evaluated your goals/resolutions for the year focus on developing the habits needed to fulfill the task at hand. Many goals and resolutions can be realized with the change of one or two simple daily or weekly habits.
- Celebrate Your Success: First of all start with your current successes, If you’ve given up smoking or even something “simple” as kept up with your blog or daily project like you had wanted, reward yourself. Then make it a point to celebrate in some way your ongoing successes through the rest of the year. Here’s another tip, when you include friends and family in on the celebration they will be much more involved in helping you hit your goals and stay on track, because face it people can be bought with cake and ice-cream hahaha.
Its incredible on how quickly the year seems to move isn’t it, but at the same time so much can be accomplished within the allotted 365 (+1 this year) days. Continue to push through to your goals and flexibly re-evaluate as the year continues and you may just surprise yourself with a kick ass 2012.