I officially have the absolute worst luck with rangefinders!
Emily and I were just out in Maine for two weeks of non-stop creating. When we arrived in Maine my beauty of a Canon 7 was working like a charm. Well, a charm with a slightly misaligned rangefinder, but a working charm none the less. I shot just a couple rolls through it before retiring it to the shelf to shoot with the other cameras I brought with us. There it sat unharmed for the final duration of our trip.
Heres the crazy twist, as our time out there came to an end, I was packing the whole lot of cameras up to head back home to Michigan. I test and check each camera before packing it away to make sure theres no spare rolls of film left in them or missing parts. As I got to the Canon 7 I noticed the shutter wasn’t firing anymore. It was stuck and jammed half way to cocked position. This has happened once before with this camera, and after stripping it down the last time with no resolve, I managed to free the shutter by forcing the film advance lever past the point of the jam. This worked well and freed the camera up to be used just fine over the past 3 or 4 months. This time however did not result in such a pleasant conclusion.
After trying a few other ideas of freeing the shutter with no success, I resorted to my previous method of advancing the lever past the stuck position. However, instead of freeing the shutter up with the glorious sound of success… It simply stripped the film advance mechanism and left the shutter to its permanently stuck demise.
Now here it sits, in what will now be known as my rangefinder graveyard. It is accompanied by my Kiev 4 that took a fall during an anniversary shoot I was doing. I was quick enough to catch its camera strap, but only seconds before it swung forward and smacked the bench I was sitting on, causing the shutter assembly to fall off track and detach. Behind that is my Canonet QL17 III. I actually had this camera apart today to free up its stuck aperture blades and seized leif shutter. Despite my success with both of these tasks the shutter itself seems to stick and misfire leaving it even still unusable. On top of these are two Polaroid Land Cameras that have given out on me this past year and a hand full of lenses that are now sitting on my desk with no working bodies to pair them with.
Im not certain if I need to just give up on RF systems or save up the money to actually step into a Bessa or Leica setup…